Motlanthe's Seychelles holiday scrutinised
Reports indicate that Kgalema Motlanthe’s Seychelles holiday was partly funded by the state.
JOHANNESBURG - The Presidency on Sunday said it doesn't understand the controversy around a holiday taken by Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe after last year's Mangaung conference.
The City Press is reporting that Motlanthe and his partner travelled to the Seychelles along with five bodyguards in a trip which was partly funded by the state.
But Motlanthe's office said all payments made were in line with the Presidential Handbook.
According to the report, Motlanthe paid for accommodation and other expenses, but the state footed the bill for transport and security.
His spokesperson Thabo Masebe said these costs have always been the responsibility of the state.
"We really don't understand why there is controversy because security for the Deputy President is the responsibility of the state. This includes transport whether it is for private or public purposes."
Masebe said expenditure adhered to the Presidential Handbook which has been declared confidential.