MTN off the hook
A senior British judge has found that MTN participated in no wrongdoing in their Iran deal.
JOHANNESBURG - After a year-long probe into Turkcell's claims that it lost out on a deal as a result of corruption between Iranian and South African leaders, a senior British judge has found the allegations to be baseless.
The Lord Hoffmann Commission has found that there was no substance to complicity claims made against Johannesburg-based rival MTN and its top management.
MTN on Friday said it now expects a $24 billion lawsuit in the United States, brought by Turkcell, to be thrown out.
Hoffmann presented the findings to the MTN board earlier in the day.
"These allegations rest entirely on the evidence provided by Mr Christian Kilowan, who worked for MTN in Iran."
Hoffmann also said in comparing Kilowan's evidence with much more recent documents, it became clear that the evidence was "a fabric of lies and distortions."