Khayelitsha inquiry hearings to resume

The Khayelitsha Commission of Inquiry has announced that public hearings will resume in February.

Lansdowne Road in Khayelitsha. Picture: Aletta Gardner/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The Khayelitsha Commission of Inquiry announced on Wednesday that public hearings into its probe would resume towards the end of February.

It was established by Western Cape Premier Helen Zille in August 2012 to investigate allegations of police inefficiency in the township and the alleged break-down in trust between police and community members.

An attempt by Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa to interdict the commission was dismissed by the Western Cape High Court last week.

The public hearings were suspended following his decision to approach the courts.

The commission was initially expected to complete its work by 24 February, but that will be impossible given that the public hearings are only due to start at around the same time.

Meanwhile, Zille's spokesperson, Zak Mbhele, confirmed the premier received a request for an extension of the deadline from commissioners.

He said the premier would respond to the request as soon as possible.

In the meantime, members of the public can continue to visit the commission's Khayelitsha office to make statements.

Initially, R6.5 million was set aside for the commission to complete its work over a six-month period.

Commissioners Kate O'Regan and Vusi Pikoli and the two evidence leaders get paid a total of R51,000 for a full days' work.

Zille's office said she would have to consider the possible budgetary implications of extending the deadline for the inquiry to complete its work.