Breytenbach’s boss forced to apologise
Lawrence Mrwebi was forced to apologise for accusing Breytenbach of making up claims against him.
SILVERTON - The head of the National Prosecuting Authority's Specialised Commercial Crime Unit, Lawrence Mrwebi, was forced to apologise for accusing prosecutor Glynnis Breytenbach of "thumb-sucking" an accusation against him.
He was testifying in the suspended prosecutor's disciplinary hearing in Silverton, Pretoria, on Tuesday.
Last week, Mrwebi said Breytenbach's claim that he was appointed to his position on 25 November 2011 was a thumb-suck and that he was in fact appointed on November 1.
The date is crucial because Mrwebi received representations from policeman Richard Mdluli's lawyers in mid-November.
Breytenbach said she was suspended in order to stop the prosecution of Mdluli, while the NPA says it was because of her lack of impartiality during a multibillion rand mining rights case.
On Tuesday, her advocate Wim Trengove showed Mrwebi he was wrong and he had to concede.
"There is confusion here. My latest appointment is signed by the minister in this proclamation, let me concede," said Mrwebi.
Trengrove said, "You were to wrong to accuse her of the thumb-sucking."
"I'm sorry for that," Breytenbach's boss responded.