'Cities are responsible for transport, not taxis'
Taxi associations are unhappy Afcon LOC have opted to use buses and trains as transport sources.
JOHANNESBURG - The local organising committee for the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) said on Thursday it will not be discussing the taxi industry's exclusion from the tournament with taxi bosses.
It said host cities are responsible for transport plans.
Taxi associations including the South African National Taxi Council (Santaco) said on Monday after the Local Organising Committee (LOC) announced a contract with bus and train services that their exclusion reflects a total disregard for the industry.
Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula warned that any interference during the tournament will not be tolerated following reports that the industry plans to disrupt the tournament.
The LOC's Sipho Sithole advised taxi bosses to consult with managers at host cities to raise their concerns.
"The host cities gave us a plan and a template in relation to transport and security when we engaged with them."
Meanwhile, the City of Cape Town said it believes it has been vindicated over its decision not to host any Afcon games at the Cape Town Stadium.
Last year the city opted not to host any matches at the stadium citing concerns over costs.
Port Elizabeth's municipality reportedly had to reallocate millions of rands from its annual budget to have games played at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.
The tournament kicks off on Saturday at the National Stadium in Johannesburg.
The Cape City Council's Grant Pascoe spoke to the Kieno Kammies Show on Friday morning.
"We did not say we didn't want it. It was decided by the cabinet that those cities would be hosting after we had raised a number of concerns."