Mantashe outlines ANC NEC's future plans
ANC’s Gwede Mantashe says the new NEC has its work cut out for it for 2013.
JOHANNESBURG - The ANC on Tuesday said its National Executive Committee (NEC) will ensure that a report on how candidates were improperly selected for the 2011 local government elections is implemented.
It has been claimed that dozens of people became ward councillors despite the fact ANC branches did not play a role in selecting them.
ANC Secretary General Gwede Mantashe said NEC member Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma's report has been sent to all the affected branches.
He said NEC members in the provinces will implement her recommendations immediately.
"The recommendations are specific on when to remove the councillors."
But he says councillors will not be removed simply because some branches do not like the candidates that were nominated.
The ANC said its NEC identified two provinces that require urgent intervention.
Mantashe said they dispatched task teams to restore political stability in the North West and Limpopo.
"The process has since been started to stabilise the provinces. We are hitting the ground running."
He also said preparations were underway to reconvene the Free State provincial conference after it Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) was disbanded when the Constitutional Court declared the conference unlawful last year.
Mantashe said the conference will be held in March.
"We need to meet the set deadline. We will have fresh audit processes and general branch meetings."