Activists welcome Khayelitsha ruling
Long time SA activist Zackie Achmat says the Khayelitsha commission must go on.
CAPE TOWN - South African activist Zackie Achmat said on Monday Khayelitsha residents should feel vindicated by the Western Cape High Court's decision to allow the commission of inquiry to go ahead.
The court dismissed Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa's bid to launch an interdict against the commission.
The case was heard before three high court judges.
Western Cape High Court Deputy Judge President Jeanette Traverso handed down majority of the ruling on Monday.
The Western Cape Provincial Government welcomed the ruling.
It was established by Premier Helen Zille in August last year to investigate allegations of police inefficiencies in the Cape Town township.
Several Non-government Organisations (NGO's) turned to Zille to do something about the rise in vigilante killings in the area.
Achmat said the commission must go ahead.
"I think the commission will look at all the evidence placed before it. There is no doubt that the evidence is about the social conditions that lead to crime. We will make recommendations as to how we want safer streets and safer homes."
The ruling was met with celebrations outside the courthouse.
Those supporting the commission sang and danced as lawyers paged through the lengthy judgement.