Khayelitsha awaits verdict
The verdict on whether the Khayelitsha Commission will continue will be delivered on Monday.
CAPE TOWN - Judgment on whether the Commission of Inquiry into allegations of police inefficiency in Khayelitsha will be allowed to go ahead, will be delivered in the Western Cape High Court on Monday.
Western Cape Premier Helen Zille established the commission in August 2012 after Khayelitsha residents voiced a breakdown in their relationship with police.
But Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa is trying to stop it from going ahead.
Three high court judges heard the case last month.
At the time the police minister's lawyer tried to convince the judges the commission is unlawful.
He said Zille overstepped her powers by appointing retired Constitutional Court Justice Kate O'Regan and Former Prosecutions Boss Vusi Pikoli to probe allegations of police inefficiencies in the township.
But the premier's lawyer argued that vigilantism in the area was symptomatic of the breakdown in trust between communities and police.
He said pressure was mounting on the premier to do something about the rise in vigilante killings.
Meanwhile the Social Justice Coalition (SJC)'s Axolile Notywala said, "It is evident that the police minister does not have a strong case. Our testimonies are proof that there is really a need for intervention is Khayelitsha."