Illegal occupation of Lenasia continues
It has emerged that some residents have not stopped building houses on illegally sold land in Lenasia.
JOHANNESBURG - As Talks continue to resolve the Lenasia demolitions saga, it has emerged that some residents have not stopped building houses on illegally sold land in the area.
This emerged on Friday at a meeting by a team appointed to resolve the land issues.
Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale appointed the special lenasia intervention team in November after more than 50 structures built on government land sold through an alleged syndicate were destroyed.
The land had been sold to residents by corrupt officials, who charged R2,500 and R95,000 for plots, and issued the buyers with fraudulent deeds of sale.
Sexwale instructed that the demolitions be stopped and that residents refrain from building on the disputed land.
But the Gauteng Housing Department's Motsamai Motlhaoloa says some residents have refused to listen.
"The issue was raised by the legal residents of Lenasia. They told us some people are moving into the houses during the night."