Lenasia demolitions plan to be mapped
The Lenasia demolitions task team is expected to approve an implementation plan.
JOHANNESBURG - A team appointed to find an alternative solution to the Lenasia demolitions saga is on Friday expected to approve an implementation plan as part of its programme to resolve land issues in the area.
The team was appointed by Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale in November after the demolition of more than 50 structures built on illegally sold land.
The government-owned land was sold through an alleged syndicate operated by some Gauteng housing officials who have since been arrested.
The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC), which forms part of the team, on Thursday said it had already made its submissions and hope it would be adopted at a meeting to be held in Lenasia later on Friday.
The commission's spokesperson, Isaac Mangena, said their submissions included clear processes and time frames for the adopted plan to be implemented.
"The SAHRC in these talks will be playing a mediation role as we do not represent any particular party at any individual level.
We are engaging in this process on the basis of our constitutional mandate, to protect and promote a culture of human rights."