Afcon on track - Safa

Safa says the Afcon is going to take place on time come January 2013.

Safa says the Afcon is going to take place on time come January 2013. Picture: AFP.

JOHANNESBURG - The South African Football Association (Safa) on Monday reassured the public that the country was on track to host the African Cup of Nations (Afcon) next year.

The continental tournament is set to kick-off at the newly-named National Stadium in Soweto.

Safa said the Local Organising Committee for the tournament had already put up billboards to announce all host cities.

There was concern earlier in December due to a dispute over the naming rights of FNB Stadium, which will host the opening ceremony for the event.

After intense negotiations, the football body managed to resolve the issue.

Acting Safa president Chief Mwelo Nonkonyana said tickets sales were picking up ahead of the tournament.

"Everyone now must realise that the Afcon is here to stay."