Two killed in shack fire
Two people have lost their lives while others have been left homeless following a shack fire.
CAPE TOWN - Two people died in a shack fire in Khayelitsha while 16 others were left homeless on Sunday morning.
The blaze destroyed four shacks in the Taiwan section of the informal settlement earlier.
City Fire and Rescue Services' Theo Layne said it took more than a dozen fire fighters an hour to extinguish the flames.
"One adult female and adult male sustained fatal burns. It is believed a candle which was left burning caused the fire."
The incident comes after one person died in a shack fire in Parkwood on Saturday.
Meanwhile, 20 people were left destitute following separate shack and house fires in Mfuleni and Mitchells Plain over the past 24 hours.
Cape Town Disaster Management's Solomons-Johannes said, "We are assisting 36 people that were affected by fires across the city. We also want to encourage residents to be fire safe when working with open flames."