Nkandla scandal continues

The DA says Zuma did not follow necessary process in building his Nkandla home.

President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla homestead in KwaZulu-Natal as seen on 4 November 2012. Picture: Taurai Maduna

CAPE TOWN - The Democratic Alliance (DA) said on Monday President Jacob Zuma admitted that the National Key Point Act processes were not followed in the construction of his Nkandla home.

DA Parliamentary Leader Lindiwe Mazibuko said Zuma also revealed he did not receive a notification that the site had been declared a National Key Point, as is required by Section 3 of the National Key Point Act of 1980.

Zuma provided a written reply to Mazibuko's parliamentary question on the controversial development.

She said the flouting of the Act's processes is evidence that it was used to hide details of the upgrade costing more than R250 million.

"We are going to ask further questions to the ministers of police and defence to establish what they are doing to get this money back from President Zuma. He owes the South African people R250 million for this upgrade."

DA leaders slammed Nkandla at its at a party congress in Boksburg last month and claimed they will soon be taking over Gauteng.