SABC undecided on broadcasting cricket
The broadcaster remains unsure whether it will screen the SA vs NZ cricket match.
JOHANNESBURG - The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) said on Sunday, a decision on whether it will indeed take up broadcasting rights to the upcoming cricket test between South Africa and New Zealand can be expected in the next few days.
This comes after Cricket South Africa's (CSA) acting CEO told Eyewitness News that they offered the SABC the rights twice but these were rejected for unknown reasons.
Should an agreement not be reached, the test, which is expected to get underway in Durban on Friday, will be the first ever to not be aired by the public broadcaster.
"We have not made a final decision as the SABC, because there are a lot of things that we are still considering before we make the final decision," said SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago.
"Earlier in the week we made those considerations and once we have done so we will communicate."
The CSA's Jacques Faul responded, saying it would be tragedy to rob South Africans of free sport viewing.
"It's just unfortunate because I think we owe it to the sport loving public out there.
"For us it's unfortunate if people won't be able to see them on television."