Tatane murder trial postponed
The Andries Tatane murder trial was postponed until 2013 because some witnesses weren’t available.
FICKSBURG - The trial of seven policemen accused of murdering Free State protestor Andries Tatane was postponed to March 2013 in the Ficksburg Regional Court.
This after two witnesses were not available to testify.
Earlier on Tuesday, the prosecution's witness turned hostile on the stand.
The riot order policeman said he was "forced" to implicate the accused in Tatane's assault, even though he could not identify them.
Video footage shows Tatane dying after being beaten by officers during a service delivery protest in April 2011.
Captain Lucas Lesimola insists Tatane was aggressive and wanted to fight when officers tried to arrest him during the protest.
The prosecution was taken by surprise when Lesimola claimed the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) threatened to charge him with defeating the ends of justice if he did not identify the accused in footage.
This despite him being unable to see their faces in the video.
Defence advocate Johan Nel accused the state of unnecessarily delaying the case, after prosecutor Sello Mathloko said their next two witnesses were only available next year.