Motlanthe cancelled visit to Qunu
Deputy President denies he cancelled a planned visit to Qunu because of Nelson Mandela’s health.
JOHANNESBURG - Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe's office on Sunday refuted claims that he cancelled his trip to former president Nelson Mandela because of the 94-year-old's poor health.
It emerged Motlanthe was scheduled to fly to Qunu in the Eastern Cape last week to visit the elderly statesman.
Madiba was admitted to a Pretoria hospital for a routine check-up on Saturday.
Motlanthe's spokesperson Thabo Masebe said the deputy president had other issues to attend to.
"The deputy president made the decision to cancel his planned trip because he had urgent matters of state to attend to. He wasn't forced by anybody."
Earlier, President Jacob Zuma paid Madiba a visit at the 1 Military Hospital.
Zuma urged people not to panic saying the former president was in good hands.
Presidential Spokesperson Mac Maharaj said Zuma found Mandela to be comfortable and in good care.
"President Zuma said Madiba looked well and has had a restful night. Zuma wishes to assure everyone that Madiba is in good hands."
In January, he was admitted to Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg for a check-up.
Meanwhile, ANC leader in Gauteng Paul Mashatile is the latest politician to wish Mandela a speedy recovery.
Mashatile said they were surprised by Mandela's hospitalisation, and have not yet been updated on his medical status.
"We'd like to wish him a speedy recovery. On behalf of the ANC in Gauteng, we wish him well and we hope he will be out of hospital soon."
People from all over the world continue to send messages to the struggle icon.