Thembalethu boy still missing

Officials have been asked to investigate whether parents of a missing Thembalethu boy neglected him.

Police tape. Picture: sxc.hu.

CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Social Development MEC Albert Fritz on Monday asked social workers to investigate whether a three-year-old boy, who went missing in Thembalethu was neglected by his parents.

The search for Simoxile Linoga, also known as Doda, on Tuesday enters day six.

He went missing while playing near his home in Zone-5 last week.

The boy was seen walking away with a man.

He wore a blue t-shirt, takkies and black pants at the time of his disappearance.

The department's Melany Kuhn said, "In this particular instance, no one is being blamed but the minister has asked social workers in the district that when they do their interventions and assessments, they also inspect the situation to see that there was no neglect involved."

Kuhn added parents need to ensure their children are safe.

"One child going missing is one too many. Parents need to understand that it is their responsibility to ensure the safety of their children and they need to be aware of where exactly their children are and who they are with."

Southern-Cape police said the search for the boy continues.