Lenasia protestors in support of demolitions
Protesting Lenasia South residents are marching through the town ahead of Tokyo Sexwale’s visit.
JOHANNESBURG - Protesting Lenasia South residents are making their way to council offices where Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale is expected later on Monday morning.
The protestors who have been out on the streets since early this morning, want the demolition of homes built on illegally sold land to continue.
The Gauteng Housing Department agreed on Friday to halt demolitions after tearing down more than 80 structures over the past three weeks.
Protesters continue to sing and chant as they march through the town.
They even stopped next to houses that are built on illegally sold land in Extension 4.
Some bystanders can be heard hurling insults at the protesters.
The group said the community is tired of land being sold illegally in the area.
They claim despite calls by provincial government for illegal occupiers of land not to build, new structures have been springing up over the weekend.
The protesters said the ongoing land grab is affecting the value of their homes.
Cabinet last week appointed Sexwale to intervene in the matter.
Some have also criticised Sexwale for keeping quiet during the demolitions.
On Friday, former ANC Youth League president Julius Malema slammed the ruling party for its silence during the Lenasia demolitions.
Malema addressed affected residents outside the South Gauteng High Court.
Malema was kicked out of the ANC in April for sowing divisions and disunity in the party.