DA loses no-confidence case
The DA has lost its bid to have the motion of no confidence in President Jacob debated on Thursday.
CAPE TOWN - The Western Cape High Court on Thursday dismissed an urgent application by the Democratic Alliance (DA) for the motion of no-confidence against President Jacob Zuma to be debated in Parliament.
DA Parliamentary Leader Lindiwe Mazibuko approached the court on behalf of eight opposition parties earlier this week, in a bid to put the motion on the National Assembly's agenda, before it goes into recess.
Mazibuko cited unemployment and corruption as some of the reasons behind their decision.
The courtroom was packed with politicians listening intently to Judge Dennis Davis' every word.
He ruled while the opposition does have the right to bring the application, it is not up to the courts to decide when the debate should happen.
Davis added there is no question that there is a constitutional right for the debate and that it is a matter of urgency.
He also said there were gaps in the National Assembly's rule book.
Thursday's decision means the debate will not happen during Parliament's last sitting.
ANC Chief Whip Mathole Motshekga told the media that their offer to debate the motion of no-confidence in February still stands.
Meanwhile, the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) on Wednesday said the ANC and other opposition parties should table a motion of no-confidence in Western Cape Premier Helen Zille.
Cosatu said Zille knew about the upcoming strikes in the agriculture sector, but did nothing about it.
Zille said she would welcome the debate.