Meyer names unchanged Bok squad
Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer has named his team to play England in their end of the year tour.
CAPE TOWN - Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer on Wednesday named an unchanged starting line-up for their final Test of the season.
The Boks will take on England at Twickenham on Saturday.
Meyer retained the side that defeated Scotland, 21-10, last weekend with JP Pietersen and Gurthrö Steenkamp, cleared for selection after treatment of niggling injuries.
The only changes are on the bench, where Pat Cilliers comes in for the injured CJ van der Linde and Elton Jantjies replaces Morné Steyn.
Springbok captain Jean de Villiers will become the fifth most-capped Springbok of all time and most-capped member of the 2012 squad when he plays in his 84th Test.
De Villiers will pass Bryan Habana on 83 caps to move into fifth place behind John Smit (111), Victor Matfield (110), Percy Montgomery (102) and Joost van der Westhuizen (89).
"I'm very chuffed for Jean," said Meyer.
"He took over the captaincy in a challenging year and has been a rock in our team. The fact that Jean has played in every Test this season, and finished all of them, is testimony to his amazing resilience and work ethic.
"Jean has been the glue that has kept our team together and for that I salute him."
The total number of Test caps in the starting team for the last Test of the Castle Outgoing Tour in 2012 is 431 - 158 in the forwards and 273 in the backline.
"It's great to be able to field an unchanged team," said Meyer.
"We've been able to show some consistency in selection on this tour and that is a good thing. The players have worked extremely hard on the training field and it wasn't easy to select the match 23 for each of the three Tests, but I'm happy that we managed to stick to combinations."
"The plan was always to give Elton a run on the tour. He's shown earlier in the season that he can play Test rugby. It's also good for his development as a player to experience the conditions here and to play in front of a big crowd like Twickenham," said Meyer.
The Springbok team to face England in London is:
- Zane Kirchner (Vodacom Blue Bulls) 23 caps
- JP Pietersen (The Sharks) 47 caps
- Juan de Jongh (DHL Western Province) 13 caps
- Jean de Villiers (captain, DHL Western Province) 83 caps
- Francois Hougaard (Vodacom Blue Bulls) 26 caps
- Pat Lambie (The Sharks) 19 caps
- Ruan Pienaar (Ulster, Northern Ireland) 62 caps
- Duane Vermeulen (DHL Western Province) 6 caps
- Willem Alberts (The Sharks) 19 caps
- Francois Louw (Bath, England) 16 caps
- Juandré Kruger (Vodacom Blue Bulls) 7 caps
- Eben Etzebeth (DHL Western Province) 10 caps
- Jannie du Plessis (The Sharks) 41 caps
- Adriaan Strauss (vice-captain, Toyota FS Cheetahs) 20 caps
- Gurthrö Steenkamp (Toulouse, France) 39 caps
- Schalk Brits (Saracens, England) 4 caps
- Heinke van der Merwe (Leinster, Ireland) 3 caps
- Pat Cilliers (DHL Western Province) 5 caps
- Flip van der Merwe (Vodacom Blue Bulls) 22 caps
- Marcell Coetzee (The Sharks) 11 caps
- Elton Jantjies (MTN Golden Lions) 2 caps
- Jaco Taute (MTN Golden Lions) 3 caps
- Lwazi Mvovo (The Sharks) 7 caps