No-confidence motion goes to court
The motion of the no confidence debate against President Jacob Zuma will be taken to court.
CAPE TOWN - The issue about whether or not a motion of no-confidence in President Jacob Zuma should be debated in Parliament is expected to come to a head when the matter goes to court on Tuesday.
Lawyers for Democratic Alliance (DA) parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko's filed papers in the Western Cape High Court on Friday on behalf of eight opposition parties after the African National Congress (ANC) blocked their efforts to schedule a motion for debate in Parliament.
The parties include the Democratic Alliance (DA), the Congress of the People (Cope) and the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP).
Mazibuko said time was running out for the motion to be debated in Parliament.
"What we want is for this debate to be scheduled as a matter of urgency, before the end of the parliamentary year."
On Thursday last week, Parliament's programming committee was unable to schedule the issue for debate because the ruling party would not agree to it.
The Western Cape High Court is expected to hear an urgent application on Tuesday to force National Assembly Speaker Max Sisulu to schedule the debate.
On Monday, parliamentary spokesperson Luzuko Jacobs confirmed that Sisulu's lawyers were filing responding papers.
"The matter has now been referred to court, as we understand it."
Almost two weeks ago, Mazibuko, supported by seven other opposition parties, tabled a notice of a motion of no-confidence in the president.
They claim, among other things, that the justice system has been weakened and politicised under Zuma's leadership.
Meanwhile, Zuma said he would not get involved in parliamentary matters.