Farmworker negotiations underway
Authorities met at the weekend to discuss farmworkers and a spate of violent protests.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape authorities remain on high alert on Monday morning, following last week's violent farmworker protests.
Police said no incidents of violence were reported at the weekend.
Farm labourers from the Boland, Overberg, De Doorns, Ceres and Wolseley went on the rampage Last week, demanding better wages.
Farmworkers claim to be earning R75 daily and are demanding their wages be doubled to R150.
Two people have been killed as a result of the ongoing strike action.
The City of Cape Town Disaster Management's Colin Deiner said: "We're going to keep our eyes open in case things begin to flare up, but the most important thing is that negotiations took place over the weekend and we're getting feedback from all those meetings."
Meetings between workers, labour representatives and community leaders took place this weekend.
Activist Mario Wanza followed the developments.
"The meetings were held [to discuss] getting the farmworkers to a place where the struggles on the farms are led by the farmworkers."
Police are probing the death of a Prins Alfred Hamlet worker who died after he was shot by unknown men last week.
Spokesperson Andre Traut said Bongile Ndleni died in hospital in the early hours of Saturday morning.
"It's alleged that he was shot on Wednesday by men driving a bakkie. He was admitted to the Ceres hospital where he was treated until Friday night. He succumbed during the course of the night. No one has been arrested as yet."
The 40-year-old's death comes after tractor driver Michael Daniels was killed during the violence between Wolseley police and labourers on Wednesday last week as well.
Police said they were keeping a close eye on several farm strike hotspots.