Lenasia demolition case delayed

It was a frustrating day for Lenasia residents after their demolition case failed to get underway.

A Lenasia resident picks up bricks from his demolished house. Picture: Taurai Maduna/EWN

JOHANNESBURG - It was a frustrating day for Lenasia residents after their demolition case failed to get underway in the South Gauteng High Court on Wednesday.

The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) is representing residents whose houses were torn down last week.

The commission is said to be meeting with various role players in the banking sector that want to join the case.

This after Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane implicated banks in an alleged syndicate selling government-owned land in Lenasia.

In court, South African Communist Party (SACP) Gauteng Secretary Jacob Mamabolo told residents to wait for official comment from the Lenasia South Concerned Residents group.

Meanwhile,the Gauteng Legislature's Portfolio Committee on Local Government and Housing wrapped up a fact finding mission on the saga.

Some 50 houses have already been demolished in the area.

Committee chairperson Errol Magerman said the situation was complex.

He said people must abide by the law, otherwise anarchy would ensue.

Magerman admitted that the implementation of by-laws in the area was taking too long, which led to the situation at hand.

The committee will make recommendations on the way forward after receiving a briefing from the Gauteng Housing Department on Friday.

Eyewitness News understands that the case will continue on Thursday.

The SAHRC was unavailable for comment.

The land in question belongs to the Gauteng Housing Department.

Three people, including department employees, have been arrested in connection with the illegal sales.