SBW- Botha fight delayed to February 2013
The boxing bout between Sonny Bill Williams and Francois Botha has been postponed to February 2013.
Eyewitness News Sport can confirm that former All Blacks centre Sonny Bill Williams will undergo surgery on an injured pectoral muscle injury.
The injury, which was sustained during a match for his Japanese club the Panasonic Wild Knights at the weekend, now sees his boxing bout against South Africa's Francois Botha, scheduled for November 24, postponed until February 2013.
The news was confirmed by an official within the Williams camp on Tuesday from Australia, with Williams having travelled there from Japan.
He told reporters on his arrival that the fight was "a little bit in doubt."
EWN Sport also spoke to Botha on Tuesday, who expressed his disappointment, saying that his team had been kept well informed by the Williams camp over the injury.
Botha says the delay provides both fighters with the opportunity to make the fight in February, scheduled to take place in Brisbane, an even bigger affair.
"It's unfortunate as in many sports injuries do happen and it's unfortunate that it happened to him. But we do believe that actually it's for the better, as it will give us more training preparation. And also the marketing and advertising on the fight will just be bigger and better."
Botha had been in heavy training for the bout, having already lost eight kilograms. He says he had also prepared well mentally.
"[I'm] a little bit disappointed but I mean we take it as all positive and we just keep going. Now it's a little bit later so gives us more time and will be a better event."
The re-scheduled fight does not give Williams much time to regain full fitness but Botha says they have already spoken about the revised date and now just need final confirmation.
"The date will be in February. We're still waiting on Fox Television Australia to come back with a suitable date."