We'll continue funding Marikana families - Radebe

The Justice Minister says the Marikana victims’ families will be able to attend inquiry hearings.

Minister of Justice Jeff Radebe. Picture: Sapa

JOHANNESBURG - Justice Minister Jeff Radebe on Monday said the department had amended regulations so that the families of victims of the Marikana shooting could attend the Farlam Commission of Inquiry.

His announcement came two days after the department said it would be withdrawing funding to transport and accommodate the families of the 34 Lonmin miners who were gunned down by police on 16 August, during an illegal strike by in the North West town.

The department said there was no legal basis to continue the funding.

But today, Radebe confirmed that money had been made available.

He told Talk Radio 702's Redi Tlhabi that the victims' families had a right to find out what happened to their loved ones.

The inquiry into the deadly shooting resumed in Rustenburg today, with legal teams arguing they could not proceed without the victim's families present.

Relatives, most of them unemployed, live as far as the Eastern Cape and Lesotho.

In August, about 3, 000 Lonmin employees embarked on strike action demanding a R12, 500 basic salary.

The five-week stoppage was laced with violence, claiming a total of 47 lives and halting mine operations.