Toll fees reduced
Government on Friday released the latest proposed tariffs relating to its Gauteng e-tolling project.
PRETORIA- Government on Friday released the latest proposed tariffs relating to its controversial e-tolling project and promised that motorists would not be burdened with any unnecessary financial costs.
Transport Minister Ben Martins today gave the first official confirmation that e-tolling would go ahead in Gauteng, at a media briefing in Pretoria.
"Cabinet at its meeting on Wednesday 24 November decided that the South African National Roads Agency (Sanral) should proceed with the implementation of the e-tolling system."
Martins said the new tariffs were significantly lower than those proposed last year, and that motorists with e-tags would pay 30 cents per kilometre.
He said the public now have a chance to comment on the project.
"This marks the beginning of a 30-day period for public comment. Government will at the end of 30 days, having considered the views of the public, publish final tariffs."
The Constitutional Court in September gave the roads agency permission to roll-out e-tolling, despite a looming court case over whether it is financially viable.
Opposition parties and the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) remain firmly opposed to the project.
Revenue from the system will pay the R20 billion debt incurred to build the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project.