Mngeni's alibi questioned in Dewani case

The alleged gunman in the Dewani murder case is testifying in the Western Cape High Court.

Xolile Mngeni (L) and Mziwamadoda Qwabe, accused in the murder of honeymooner Anni Dewani, appear in the Western Cape High Court in Cape Town. Picture: Nardus Engelbrecht/SAPA

CAPE TOWN - The Khayelitsha man who's accused of killing British newlywed Anni Dewani said he won't be able to help police confirm his alibi.

Xolile Mngeni is testifying in the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday.

He has repeatedly denied any involvement in the Dewani murder.

Mngeni is still sticking to his version of events.

The frail 25-yer-old took several minutes before answering the prosecutions simple questions.

The alleged gunman claims he was at home the day before the crime and spent the night of the murder at the home of a friend of his girlfriend.

He claims he spent Sunday morning at the V&A Waterfront with friends and said he was with three other friends the night of the hijacking

When he was asked if he could track down his girlfriend to confirm his alibi, he said he had lost contact with her as she lived in Johannesburg.

However, the National Prosecuting Authority's (NPA) Eric Ntabazalila said Mngeni contradicted himself in parts of his testimony.

"There were contradictions as to how Mngeni met Mziwamadoda Qwabe; Mngeni's lawyer Matthews Dayimani told the court the accused was coming out of a salon, but Mngeni disputed all of that by saying that he was coming from a shop when he had met Qwabe."

The alleged gunman disputed most aspects of the testimony given by co-accused Mziwamadoda Qwabe and told the court that Qwabe was not his friend.

He said on the days leading up to and after the murder, Qwabe only asked him to sell him one of his cellphones.

Qwabe, who is serving a 25-year jail term for his part in the crime, has implicated Mngeni and Anni's husband Shrien Dewani.

Ntabazalila said Mngeni has also inadvertently admitted to selling drugs.

"He would sell drugs to some of his friends. It has been a very confusing testimony, jumping from one year to another."

The accused also revealed he sustained a gunshot wound to his left arm in 2008, before being stabbed in his hand a year later.

Previously Dayimani argued it was impossible for Mngeni to have fired a gun without the full use of his hand, as he was hospitalised for a lengthy period before the 2010 murder.

The 25-year-old will continue being grilled by prosecutors regarding his testimony.

These details will form part of a crucial argument by Mngeni's lawyer later.

Meanwhile, alleged mastermind Shrien Dewani is fighting against his extradition to South Africa in a London Court.

South African authorities want him to stand trial in this country.

Dewani is currently being treated at a mental facility in the United Kingdom.