Nkandla saga deepens
President Jacob Zuma’s controversial homestead upgrade budget takes another twist.
CAPE TOWN - The City Press on Sunday revealed that yet more money has been transferred to pay for the upgrade of the President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla compound.
The paper reported that the Department of Public Works also approved payments of millions of rand to contractors last week.
The newspaper said it was in possession of internal documents which showed that 31 new buildings were constructed with one contractor charging the government R8 million per building.
The City Press's Adriaan Basson said the documents contain interesting details.
"The document shows that the final cost tax payers will pay has gone up to R248 million. The documents gave a clear break down as to what this money was spent on. This brings us closer to getting clarity as to what exactly government is paying for."
Meanwhile, the Democratic Alliance (DA) said last week unless the Nkandla debacle is openly debated in parliament, public trust in President Jacob Zuma will continue to wane.
DA Parliamentary Leader Lindiwe Mazibuko submitted questions to the Presidency, the Defence Ministry and police department in the hope the matter will be debated.
Mazibuko said government cannot continue to evade the issue.
Last month, Zuma told a cabinet meeting that he was not embarrassed about improvements in Nkandla.
He said he is committed to rural development and other areas will get their chance.