Dewani murder accused denies involvement

Xolile Mngeni vehemently denied any involvement in British newlywed Anni Dewani’s 2010 murder.

Xolile Mngeni, one of the men accused of murdering honeymooner Anni Dewani, appears in the Western Cape High Court on Monday, 13 August 2012. Picture: Sapa.

CAPE TOWN - The Cape Town man accused of killing British newlywed Anni Dewani vehemently denied any involvement in the crime on Monday.

Xolile Mngeni took the stand in the Western Cape High Court in Cape Town.

The 25-year-old is accused of firing the shot that killed Anni during an apparent staged hijacking in Khayelitsha back in November 2010.

A frail Mngeni entered the witness box with the support from a court guard.

Sweat formed on the forehead of Mngeni's lawyer, Matthews Dayimani, as he questioned his client.

The alleged gunman disputed most aspects of testimony given by co-accused Mziwamadoda Qwabe.

Mngeni told the court that Qwabe was not his friend.

He said on the days leading up to and after the murder, Qwabe only asked him to sell him one of his cellphones.

Mngeni gave further details of his alleged assault while in police custody.

But the presiding judge questioned the testimony, saying this should have emerged in the trial within a trial earlier in the case.

Meanwhile, alleged mastermind Shrien Dewani is fighting against his extradition to South Africa in a London Court.