Treasury considers SABC news channel

Finance Minister Pravin Ghordan warned that now was not the time for "vanity projects".

SABC plans for a 24-hour news channel are delayed again.

CAPE TOWN - National Treasury on Thursday financial aspects are still being considered for the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC)'s business plan for a 24-hour news channel.

In Finance Minister Pravin Ghordan's written response to a Parliamentary question about the SABC, he warned now was not the time for "vanity projects".

He said the broadcaster's management must take measures to stop wasteful and ill-considered projects.

Treasury spokesperson Jabulani Sikhakhane said the SABC has so far failed to meet all of the conditions attached to a government loan guarantee.

"All the minister is signaling is the impatient with the SABC in terms of meeting its previous targets. Remember a few years, the SABC was granted a loan guarantee."

The new 24-hour news channel is expected to have an operating cost of R180 million per year.

The launch has been delayed several times.