Govt. condemns attack on SA soldier in Sudan

Govt. has condemned the attack which killed an SA soldier in Sudan.

FILE PICTURE: A picture by the United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID). Picture: AFP/UNAMID/Albert Gonzalez Farran

PRETORIA/CAPE TOWN - The South African government on Thursday condemned the ambush in Sudan's western Darfur region on Wednesday, which killed one of its citizens and injured three others.

Unknown assailants ambushed a UNAMID convoy 10km outside Hashaba North, Darfur, UNAMID said in a statement.

Government called on the Sudanese government to find out exactly what happened.

In a statement, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation confirmed that a South African peacekeeper was killed and three more wounded in an ambush.

The "brave South Africans in uniform" were serving with the United Nations African Union Mission in Sudan's troubled province.

The ministry said Khartoum should launch an investigation to get to the bottom of the incident.

South Africa is working with the African Union, the United Nations and the Sudanese government to attend to the incident.

"We've called on the government of Sudan to investigate this tragic incident,"said department spokesperson Clayson Monyela.

Monyela added that details involving the attack were still unclear.

"The information we have from the UN is that they were patrolling in an area that has been known to have subsequent violence, and they came under an attack."

It sent its condolences to the family of the dead soldier, who has not yet been named, and undertook to provide full consular support.

Monyela could not however confirm when the peacekeeper's body will be flown home.

Earlier in October, four Nigerian peacekeepers were killed and eight wounded in an ambush near El Geneina in western Darfur.

A total of 43 peacekeepers have been killed since UNAMID was setup, according to the force.