Dewani 'hitman' makes submission

In an unexpected turn of events, Anni Dewani’s alleged murderer penned an admission document.

Anni Dewani’s alleged killer Xolile Mngeni and his lawyer Matthews Dayimani in court on 17 September 2012. Picture: Graeme Raubenheimer/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The man accused of killing British tourist and newlywed Anni Dewani on Tuesday made some admissions in the Western Cape High Court.

While Xolile Mngeni has pleaded not guilty to the murder, he signed an admission document relating to a few issues.

His alleged accomplices are serving jail time after they pleaded guilty to their roles in the 2010 crime.

In an unexpected turn of events, Mngeni penned an admission document.

Though admissions are not very significant, Mngeni admitted the woman found in Khayelitsha was indeed Dewani and that she had been shot.

He also said that a bullet was found in the back seat of the minivan used in the apparent hijacking.

Mngeni admitted the bracelet and watch recovered belonged to Dewani and said cellphones which had been handed in as exhibits belong to his alleged accomplices.

After the admission document was handed in, prosecutor Adrian Mopp smiled saying this has cut his witness list in half.

Mngeni has denied pulling the trigger that killed the 28-year-old.

His two alleged accomplices, Mziwamadoda Qwabe and Zola Tongo, are serving lengthy jail terms after cutting deals with the state.

Earlier in the case, Qwabe implicated the deceased's husband, Shrien Dewani.

Qwabe said they were paid to kill Dewani and make it look like a hijacking.

Dewani is fighting his extradition in London.