Amplats miners 'wont back down'

Amplats miners said they will not back down as the strike enters its 4th week.

Amplats miners take part in an illegal strike on 5 October 2012. Picture: Govan Whittles/EWN

JOHANNESBURG - More than 100 dismissed Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) miners on Monday gathered outside the mine's residential complex in Rustenburg.

The strikers claim senior managers have been reporting for duty.

The miners are from Amplats Komanani shaft and are among the 12,000 striking workers who were fired last week for not attending disciplinary hearings.

The miners said they could not attend the hearing after one of their members was killed on Thursday allegedly by police.

Amplats workers have been on a wage strike for over three weeks.

They are demanding salaries of R16,000 a month.

Police are currently trying to convince the miners to disperse because they need to lodge their appeals at their respective shafts, but the miners said they want all of Amplats staff including senior management, who they claim are reporting for duty, to stop working.

The nearby Bathopele operation is one of the last shafts where production continues and the miners said they will soon target it.

Thousands of cars can be seen living the complex and police have blocked off the entrance.

On Saturday, the Democratic Alliance addressed the striking miners at Bleskop Stadium in Rustenburg.

The party said it was behind the striking miners.

The mining industry has been plagued by violent strikes in recent weeks.

Miners are demanding better salaries and improved living conditions.