35 trucks torched in Ekurhuleni
At least 35 trucks have been set alight since the beginning of the Satawu strike in Ekurhuleni.
JOHANNESBURG - Police say a total of 35 trucks have been set alight in Ekurhuleni during the ongoing truck drivers' strike.
No incidents of vandalism and violence have been reported this weekend, but officers say they have been patrolling hot spots.
Truck drivers went on strike two weeks ago, demanding a 12 percent wage increase.
Ekurhuleni Metro Police spokesperson Kobeli Mokheseng says they are already patrolling highways and manufacturing areas.
Mokheseng says 22 people have injured during the unrest.
"Even though the situation seems to be calm following Friday's incident, where five trucks were set alight in Ekurhuleni, we will continue to monitor and patrol hot spots."
At least three trucks were set alight in Cape Town earlier this week.
One truck driver is still recovering in hospital after he was assaulted allegedly by striking workers.
Meanwhile, the South African Transport Allied Workers Union (Satawu) has threatened to intensify the strike after management refused to meet their demands.
Satawu is now looking to shut down the country's ports to intensify its industrial action.
The union's Cyril Mfokofi says they are considering a secondary strike.
"We want to stop everything which is transported because we want to intensify the industrial action."