Govt could postpone e-toll announcement
Spokesperson Thabo Masebe said an announcement will be made once consultations are concluded.
JOHANNESBURG - Government on Thursday said its announcement on e-tolls could be pushed back until Saturday.
Earlier this week, officials indicated a statement would be made on Friday.
In September, the Constitutional Court overturned a North Gauteng High Court order preventing the rollout of the programme.
A full judicial review on the controversial tolls is still set to take place in November.
On Wednesday, the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) slammed government's decision to make an announcement on the tolls.
The union federation said it was meant to meet with the inter-ministerial committee on e-tolls to discuss objections.
Now government looks set to push the announcement back by a day.
Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe's spokesperson, Thabo Masebe, said an announcement will not be made until the committee has finalised consultations.
The panel has been meeting with interested parties since the Constitutional Court's judgment.
Masebe said they hope to find a solution that everyone is happy with.
Under the current project, motorists in Gauteng will be expected to pay 30 cents per kilometre to use most of the province's highways.