Blue light accident case postponed
The driver accused of knocking down Thomas Ferreira has decided to get his own lawyer.
JOHANNESBURG - The lawyer representing the driver accused of knocking down Krugersdorp teenager Thomas Ferreira on Wednesday said his client is ready to make his plea.
The lawyer hopes the matter wraps up soon to avoid media scrutiny.
In November 2011, Joseph Semietjie allegedly hit Ferreira while driving a blue light vehicle belonging to former Gauteng Housing MEC Humphrey Memmezi.
The matter is being heard in the Krugersdorp Magistrate's Court.
Semietjie told the court that he decided to use his own lawyer, instead of the one provided by his employer.
He remained quiet during proceedings and refused to speak to the media following his brief appearance.
Meanwhile, Ferreira's parents were not present in court as they had already been informed about the postponement.
Their 19-year-old son sustained head injuries and spent several weeks in a coma after the accident.
He is still undergoing therapy.
The case was postponed until the end of November.