Kabul blast victims to reach SA in October

The families of those killed in the Kabul bombing will have to wait for the repatriation of bodies.

A man looks at the carnage, outside a petrol station at the site of a suicide attack in Kabul on September 18, 2012. A suicide bomber blew himself up alongside a minivan carrying foreigners on a major highway leading to the international airport in the Afghan capital, police said, killing at least 10 people, including nine foreigners. Picture: AFP.

JOHANNESBURG - The families of those killed in last week's Kabul bombing will have to wait at least three weeks before the bodies are repatriated.

Eight South Africans were killed when the bus they were travelling in blew up on its way the international airport in Kabul.

A female suicide bomber detonated explosives.

Insurgent group Hezb-e-Islami claimed responsibility for the attack, which was in retaliation for a US-made film that mocks Prophet Mohammad.

Red tape in the Afghan capital delayed the release of the South African bodies, with officials saying it will take at least two weeks to resolve.

The victims were all employees of ACS Balmoral, an aviation company contracted to fly US embassy officials.

ACS Balmoral spokesperson Chantal van Wyk said they are doing their best to keep the families informed.

"We have steps to follow and once that is done, the process to transport the bodies will take place."

The company said it will announce in due course whether they will hold a mass memorial service.