Miners 'pledge support' for Malema

Miners have reportedly pledged their support for Julius Malema following the issuing of his arrest warrant.

Expelled ANCYL leader Julius Malema visited striking Lonmin mineworkers in Marikana in the North West on 18 August 2012. Picture: Taurai Maduna/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The Friends of the Youth League claim miners across the country have thrown their support behind Julius Malema.

An arrest warrant for the former ANC Youth League leader was issued on Friday.

The league's suspended secretary general Sindiso Magaqa says since the warrant was issued; he has received countless phone calls from miners.

Magaqa says miners are now more committed than ever to their fight for higher wages.

"The majority, in fact all of them, they are more determined that we are in the right cause. They say they are prepared to fight for their leader Julius Malema. They say they will die where he dies."

Malema has been vocal about his support for miners in recent months.

He went to Marikana more than once during the violent protests and laid charges against the police following the bloodbath on 16 August.

At least 35 people were shot dead during clashes with police.

Last week, he was barred from attending a meeting with the miners as police believe he is inciting violence.

Malema has urged the miners to continue fighting for their rights.

Meanwhile, he is expected to appear in court later this week.

It is believed he will face corruption charges relating to his Ratanang Trust Fund.

Malema maintains his innocence and is ready to cooperate with authorities.

He believes the charges against him are political.

On Saturday, the ANC Youth League pledged its support for Malema.

The league's spokesperson Magdalene Moonsamy said, "We will await the processes that must be followed with the legal consultation.

However, the party remains consistent, unshaken and resolute in his support."