Parents speak out on Limpopo textbook crisis
Two parents from Limpopo have describe the textbook crisis in the province.
JOHANNESBURG - Two parents from Limpopo on Thursday described how schools in the province were still battling without textbooks.
This is despite assurances from the government that all learning material had been delivered.
The pair was speaking at a briefing being held by rights group Section 27 in Johannesburg regarding the textbook crisis.
Section 27 is taking the Basic Education Department back to court over the ongoing problem.
The legal demands were wider, including the delivery of books for next year.
One of the parents who spoke at the briefing is a mother of six, who said it brought her great pain to see schools still sitting without textbooks.
"It has not been an easy journey. There are no words to describe the crisis."
She said the Limpopo textbook saga would lead to a stagnation of education.
A father of five from the same province said there were still schools which had not received a single textbook.
Section 27 rejected the department's catch-up plan for learners who had been without textbooks for over six months.
The group also wants assurances that all schools will receive learning material in time for the 2013 academic year.
It is now understood that the education department has filed notice to oppose Section 27's court application.
The court case is expected to start later in September.