Dewani trial continues despite Mngeni's health

The trial of the alleged hitman in the Anni Dewani trial is going ahead despite his poor health.

Alleged gunman in the Anni Dewani murder, Xolile Mngeni, chats with his lawyers on 30 august 2012. Picture: Nathan Adams/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The trial of the man accused of murdering Anni Dewani is going ahead despite his poor health.

Xolile Mngeni was deemed fit to stand trial after being diagnosed with a brain tumour.

Before the 10th witness testified in the Western Cape High Court on Wednesday, Judge Robert Henney read out the results of Mngeni's latest health assessment.

He became ill during lunch break on Tuesday and was then rushed to Victoria Hospital in Wynberg.

Henney said he would allow Mngeni to eat during court proceedings, if necessary.

He also ignored Mngeni's lawyers request that the case be postponed.

Earlier, Mngeni's close friend told the court the accused admitted to robbing and shooting Anni.

Last week, Mziwamadoda Qwabe, who is serving 25-years for his part in the crime implicated Mngeni and Shrien Dewani.

Qwabe testified they were hired to stage the hijacking and kill the newlywed.

Earlier this week, another witness told the court that Mngeni tried to sell her the deceased's cellphone.

The phone was presented in court as evidence.

Mngeni has pleaded not guilty to all the charges against him.

The trial continues on Thursday.