Business as usual for Sassa - Dlamini
Social Development Minister has assured social grant beneficiaries that the services won’t be disrupted.
CAPE TOWN - Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini on Wednesday assured over 10 million beneficiaries that R16 million in social grants will be paid out without disruption.
Dlamini told a media briefing in Cape Town that its business as usual.
On Tuesday, the North Gauteng High Court declared a R10 billion tender awarded to a company to distribute social grants, as invalid and illegal.
The court decided not to set aside the five-year tender recently awarded to Cash Payment Services.
Dlamini said the court found no evidence of fraud and corruption, but the tender process had been flawed because of technical and administrative issues.
Dlamini said Cash Payment Services was the most financially viable option and was the most up to date in terms of technology needed to eradicate potential abuse of the system.
She said since April, nine South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) officials have been arrested, one has already been convicted.
She hopes in the next five years the department will be ready to pay social grants directly and cut out the middleman.
Meanwhile, close to 16 million South Africans are on social grants.