Prosecutors oppose bail for Lonmin miners

The prosecution in the case against 259 Lonmin staff submitted its argument in opposing bail conditions.

Police look over at Lonmin’s Marikana mine workers who were protesting on 16 August, 2012 for more wages. Picture: Taurai Maduna/Eyewitness News.

GA-RANKUWA - The prosecution in the case against 259 Lonmin workers is submitting its argument to oppose bail conditions for the miners.

The workers face a range of charges including murder, attempted murder and public violence.

They were arrested after 34 protesters were gunned down during a shootout with police, after a week of violence that saw 10 other people lose their lives.

Prosecutor Nigel Carpenter on Tuesday told the Ga-Rankuwa Magistrates Court that the mineworkers should be denied bail as their actions had a negative impact on the Marikana community.

He added that the country's economy had also been affected by the strike.

Carpenter said there was a number of investigations being conducted by other police divisions and that their release would prejudice the probe.

Meanwhile, the defence asked the court to free the men as the State had not yet linked them to the charges they are facing.

Magistrate Essau Bodigelo is expected to hand down his judgement on Tuesday.

THE ANC ON MARIKANA

The ANC believes progress is being made in resolving some of the problems around Lonmin's Marikana mine in the North West.

The party's national executive committee (NEC) met on Monday to discuss the shooting at the mine.

The NEC also condemned politicians who, it says, are using the tragedy for their own ends.

Last week, former ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema insulted government ministers while speaking at a memorial service for the dead miners.

ANC Spokesperson Jackson Mthembu said "people should not use such a tragedy to advance their own political standing and do so at the expense of so many people that lost their lives."