ANCYL march fails to draw thousands
The much anticipated ANC Youth League march has failed to draw thousands in Cape Town.
CAPE TOWN - It appears the promised thousands of ANC Youth League supporters did not materialise to stage a march through the central business district.
The league had said that it was expecting 10,000 people to support its march to the Western Cape legislature in protest against poor service delivery and the possible closing of 27 schools in the province.
The league has also previously threatened to make the province ungovernable after it said the DA-led government neglected the poor.
Instead, a few hundred are currently making their way from Salt River to Keizergracht on the outskirts of the central business district.
The march, which was meant to start early Monday morning was delayed because of transport issues.
The league's Mvuzo Zenzile said they are planning to start soon.
"We were meant to start at 11am, but we can see that might delay by 30 minutes or an hour."
At the same time, police officers have amassed at Keizergracht along with vehicles and horses. A police helicopter is buzzing overhead.
There are only a few demonstrators at the scene.
Most are still en route from Salt River Station, where some wanted to start protesting, but metro police explained to them they are only allowed to march from Keizergracht.
Officers are now being briefed on what to expect later.
Another contingent of officials are awaiting protesters at the provincial legislature.
Police continue to follow the crowd which is currently moving peacefully towards Keizergracht.