Malema addresses Lonmin mourners

Former ANCYL leader Julius Malema has urged Lonmin miners to continue fighting for better wages.

Julius Malema addresses mourners at a memorial service for the victims of the Lonmin Marikana shooting. Picture: Taurai Maduna/EWN.

MARIKANA - Former ANC Youth League (ANCYL) leader Julius Malema on Thursday told Marikana miners they are part of a mining revolution.

About 2,000 people gathered for a memorial service near the spot where 34 miners were killed by police last Thursday.

Community members clapped and cheered when Malema took to the stage.

The politician called on the miners to carry on fighting for their salary demand of R12,500.

According to Malema, the workers were part of a mining revolution and did nothing wrong.

He also called on police to release the 259 people arrested during the bloodbath, saying they were only fighting for their rights.

Malema said government officials only attended the service to pose for pictures.

He reminded the workers that officials did nothing to help them during the incident.

Last week, the ousted ANCYL leader called on President Jacob Zuma and Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa to step down, saying the killings happened under their watch.

Earlier this week, Malema and a handful of miners laid criminal charges against police officers involved the in the killings.

Anglican Archbishop Thabo Makgoba pleaded with mourners to forgive and not avenge the killings.

Meanwhile, around 1,000 striking employees at the nearby Royal Bafokeng Rasimone Platinum Mine have reportedly returned to work.

The National Union of Mineworkers (Num) said workers ended the strike after union officials communicated with them on the terms of their collective wage agreement.