Decision on WC schools expected soon
MEC Donald Grant says a final decision on the future of 27 schools will be made in September.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Education MEC Donald Grant said a final decision on the future of 27 schools will be made by the end of September.
He made the announcement in the Western Cape Legislature earlier on Thursday.
The department said dwindling enrolment figures and poor performance are some of the reasons behind the proposed closures.
A heated debate erupted when an opposition politician asked a question about public hearings on the issue.
Grant repeated himself as he emphasised no decision had been made.
He explained the affected schools have been notified and public meetings are being held.
These will wrap up early in September.
Grant said he would then weigh up pros and cons.
Meanwhile, the Congress of South African Trade Unions, the ANC and other civil organisation have made it clear they are opposed to the move.
They have threatened to take legal action against the provincial government if it goes ahead with the closures.