Some WC residents unhappy with Home Affairs

EWN received complaints from people who have been struggling to get their documents.

The Home Affairs Department. Picture: Giovanna Gerbi/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The Home Affairs Department in the Western Cape on Wednesday said it should not take longer than three to six months to obtain unabridged birth or marriage certificates.

Eyewitness News has received several complaints from people who have spent almost two years struggling to get their documents.

A Somerset West mother first contacted the Paarl office in January, requesting her daughter's birth certificate.

She says she is frustrated because she has been directed to a call centre in Pretoria.

"I've very frustrated because I have been waiting for the birth certificate for six months now."

Provincial Home Affairs Chief Yusuf Simons said Home Affairs officials at Western Cape offices should not be referring clients to deal directly with the Pretoria office.

"We have a process in place with our Pretoria support services. If we have queries, we can contact them and they will attend to them."