Madonsela looks into Joburg's pageant spending
Questions around the funds spent on Miss World in 2009, now lie in the Public Protector’s hands.
JOHANNESBURG - The City of Johannesburg said on Monday it will ensure the Public Protector has all the information she will need to make up her own mind about whether there was any corruption in relation to the city's hosting of the Miss World Pageant in 2009.
There have been claims that money was misspent, after the city forked out around R90 million on the event.
The council said its own investigations have found no wrong-doing but that Thuli Madonsela must conduct her own probe.
Last week the Democratic Alliance (DA) claimed the city was refusing to hand over the full contract details around the deal of hosting the event.
Everything that needs to be raised is going to be given to the Public Protector," said the council's member of the Mayoral Committee for Economic Development Ruby Mathang.
"We are going to fully cooperate with the Public Protector."