I didn’t pay for Malema’s trip - Mbalula
Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula slammed the recent allegations against him as "malicious and baseless".
JOHANNESBURG - Sports and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula on Friday said allegations levelled against him were "malicious and baseless".
He was referring to earlier reports that his department funded expelled ANC Youth League (ANCYL) leader Julius Malema's London trip.
The controversial politician is reportedly in the country on business.
Speaking in Johannesburg on Friday afternoon, Mbalula said the Malema allegation was a ploy to tarnish his name.
"I am not corrupt and I will never misuse government funds. The fundamental question is payment and I didn't pay for anybody - [not] even from my [own] pocket."
He told the media to ask Malema himself to explain who sponsored his trip.
Late last month, Mbalula accompanied Team South Africa to the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics.
"I've even been asked questions of whether [sprinter] Caster Semenya slept in my room. This is hogwash."