Zuma gets update from arms deal inquiry
President Jacob Zuma is content after receiving an update from the arms deal commission.
JOHANNESBURG - President Jacob Zuma said on Wednesday the commission of inquiry into the arms deal is progressing well.
He received an update from the commission in line with its terms of reference.
Zuma therefore expressed his full confidence in the commission.
He said it must be allowed to complete its mandate and it must not be hindered by any prescribed outcomes.
The commission headed by Judge Willie Seriti was established by the president in September last year to investigate allegations of fraud, corruption, impropriety or irregularity in the arms deal.
Two highly respected advocates who were picked to lead the inquiry were removed earlier this year, raising concerns in political meddling in the process.
The public had until the end of July to make submissions to the inquiry.
The commission identified issues that needed to be looked at further, and will then conduct the necessary private investigations, both internally and outside of South Africa.
Submissions and documentation from government departments, chapter nine institutions, private entities and interested parties will be studied.