NEC 'shocked' by textbook saga
The ANC’s top six said the Limpopo textbook scandal is “shocking and unacceptable”.
JOHANNESBURG - The Limpopo textbook scandal is "shocking and unacceptable", the ANC's National Executive Committee (NEC) said on Monday.
But the body said it still wanted to consider various reports into the saga before taking action.
There have been growing calls for Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga to be fired from her post for her role in the debacle.
ANC Secretary General Gwede Mantashe said the NEC is "furious".
He said the ANC will take stern action against those involved and officials may face criminal charges.
But Mantashe rejected calls for action to be taken against Motshekga at this stage.
Last week, the minister went to the province to ensure that a catch-up plan is in place for learners who have been without textbooks for over six months.
This after a new report emerged that the majority of grade 10 pupils failed their June exams.
The department failed to deliver the necessary workbooks by a June 27 deadline, a date agreed on with rights organisation Section 27.
Officials also missed an earlier deadline set by the North Gauteng High Court after Section 27 applied for an interdict to force the department to deliver books.